Please Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself (Confessions of a Former "Supercollector")



    When I look at this picture I feel as if it should come with a voice over of me saying: "I know you are asking how it came to this?" This Article was from the Beckett Hockey Magazine from June 2019. I achieved a collectors dream when I was featured as a super collector of Former Carolina Hurricanes Defenseman Justin Faulk. On Social media I built a reputation as the Caniac Collector I even completed the elusive Nameplate set, and then it happened! Faulk was traded to the St. Louis Blues in September 2019, 2020 hit the hobby spiked and due to some personal issues I took a break. A combination of personal issues, growing prices due to predatory opportunists, and general lack of interest my collection stalled. I would pick up an occasional Faulk here and there but seeing him in the St. Louis Sweater just seemed odd and made my collection feel "different". 

    While I was not actively buying cards, I was in fact still looking at other collectors "hits" and other brands releases, and had an epiphany. There was a lot of beautiful cards out there in various sports and brands and I was missing out. My focus was so zeroed in on obtaining Faulk's cards of which I possessed over 300 that I was missing out on other cards in the hobby.

My PC grew 3 times this amount by 2022
   
     So what was a "Supercollector" to do? With only so much disposable income (Public education is apparently a labor of love). There was only one thing to do. Relinquish my "Supercollector" status and begin to sell off parts of the PC. So where do I go from here?  I am adamant believer in collecting what I like, and I have the philosophy of "collect like a 6 year old" ( I will explain later).  So I decided to do a 180 in my collecting endeavors. I love Basketball and am a passionate yet frustrated New York Knicks Fan ( its been a rough 20 years). My favorite era of basketball is the 1990's, that is due to the fact it was the era of my formative years, it was one of the last fun eras of basketball, and the last time I could openly root for the Knicks without explanation or a paper bag on my head, So I decided to focus my collection on Rookie cards of Hall of Famers drafted between 1990-1999. I look forward to using this blog to chronicle my collecting endeavors. Here's to the joutney!


The Big Orristotle.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Grandmama Created The Big Nasty

Collect like a Six Year Old