In Order for Hobby Reform to Happen First We Have To Get Mad

Arkansas Legend Corliss "The Big Nasty" Williamsonis my new PC Player..

    I love the movie Network! It really is a classic! There is a legendary scene in the movie where reporter Howard Beale played wonderfully by Peter Finch told his viewers the only way to make a change was to get mad! "Mad as Hell" were his exact words, if we wanted to change things. It remains one of the most quotable scenes in American film history. 

    However while I do not encourage yelling out your window that you are "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore." . There are ways to affect change within the hobby by simply deciding to get mad enough to force change. It is no secret that the hobby is broken and definitely in need of serious reform. Between mass production, flippers, breakers, inflated prices on wax and generally dishonest tactics from within, the hobby is no longer the innocent one from childhood. So how do we change it? We have to get mad! I do not mean to grow angry when I say "get mad" I am talking about the mad you get when dealing with someone who has worked your last nerve, stretched your patience, and worked your last nerve. We need to react as collectors to the hobby in the same way in order to get reform. So How do we do this?
1. Stop Paying for Overpriced Wax
    I understand this is easier said then done! I love ripping wax. It is like opening a present you picked out for yourself. Its your own personal treasure hunt! However we seldom find that pot of gold we were searching for, and often end up disappointed. While I consider "investing" to be a dirty word within the hobby. However on average a collector is lucky if they receive a 50% return on their investment by ripping wax. In fact 50% ROI is rare. So why do we drop hundreds of dollars on hobby boxes constantly? I understand first hand the thrill of hitting a big card ripping wax, and I know it is multiplied when its a PC Card. However, were often left disappointed. 

2. Buy Singles
Most of us have PC Cards, or cards we would prefer to have beyond base. What are the chances of pulling that specific card from a box or pack of wax? Slim? Rare? Virtually non existent. So why do we do it. Personally I think it is related to the thrill of knowing you pulled that card. But wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient to just buy the card as a single? In doing this we stop feeding the monster which is the card industry. An industry that continually over saturates the market with subpar products.

3. Be Patient
FOMO or the fear of missing out is big and drives the hobby market. If you don't believe that, check eBay after any player has a big game, is traded or passes away and I guarantee you will see a huge spike in sales and costs. The same thing happens when a new retail product its shelves and flippers clear the stores and list them on eBay at a huge profit taking advantage of the FOMO. This has become a huge problem and a reason the average collector is being priced out of the hobby. So patience is a virtue when dealing with this part of the market. By not indulging unscrupulous behavior or chasing fads we can do our part to help reform the hobby.

I have mentioned getting mad. Yet I am keenly aware that the mad I am talking about is more of a defiant type. They say the best way to vote is with your wallet, and in doing this we can play our part in helping reform the hobby.

My New PC Player
I have decided to expand my PC. While I am still focusing on buying Rookies of Hall of Fame players drafted in the 90's. However on top of being a diehard Knicks Fan, I am also a huge Arkansas Razorbacks fan. With that being said I have decided to begin collecting Arkansas Legend, National Champion, and former NBA 6th man of the year Corliss "the Big Nasty" Williamson. So I will be updating my PC as I find them.

While I know there is a lot more to the fixing the hobby than what I have mentioned. I think if we all get mad we can begin making the little changes to make this hobby more enjoyable. All the Best!

The Big Orristotle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself (Confessions of a Former "Supercollector")

How Grandmama Created The Big Nasty

Collect like a Six Year Old