Collect like a Six Year Old

" Why don't you just stick to collecting cards like a six-year old?" Was the comment some Social Media  user Tweeted me after I dared to disagree on a rather toxic take about the Carolina Hurricanes back before wins became common. While it is no secret that the majority of social media surrounding your favorite sports teams is inherently toxic, this comment directed at me was not taken in offense. Especially after fielding such well thought out questions such as "What does a nigger no about hockey?" (funny that question is never asked about my knowledge of basketball). 

    However "collecting cards like a 6 year-old " is exactly what I want to do/ Have you seen most 6 year olds? They do not care how they, look, what they eat, or what people think of them. They like what they like no questions asked. My daughter (yes someone procreated with me) used to wear hot orange leggings with a teal raincoat and earmuffs just to relax around the house, and the times we made her change to go places rivaled the ferocity of the first round of the Hagler vs Hearns Superfight (Google it),
\

    My son at 6 would prefer a PB&J over  a steak, chicken fingers, a hamburger, and (gasp) Pizza. This is the same son who told my ex-mother in law that she was not half the pain in the butt I said she was. My point is 6 year olds like what they like and no one can change their mind, and that is how I want to collect!

    The hobby has became a weird place these days where people expect monster hits in every pack blaster or box. Technically every pack blaster or box has a "hit" but most of the time it will fall way below expectations. However I have noticed a lot of people who want to trash a product unless they get a 1/1 Auto or hit in order to "break even" which makes me wonder why, and then people within the hobby often pile on with their frustrations

     However, I digress. When I say collect like a 6 year old I mean collect what you like regardless of what other people say! Post your base card if you think it looks cool. Ignore the people who trash retail if that is all you can find or afford. Be proud of that unnumbered relic of your PC player, and stop trying to keep up with the Joneses of this hobby and just enjoy the ride! Let the 6 year old kid come out of you, collect what you like. and do not be afraid to show off your PC no matter its perceived value or popularity.

Lastly another thing we should take on board within the hobby is another thing we all should have learned at 6. If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all! Far to many time do I see people criticizing other peoples PC's in the comments, or trashing their sell posts. Did you know that it is in fact not illegal and often encouraged to just scroll buy instead of posting a snide remark? If you didn't give it a try next time and see what happens.



On a Hobby note I celebrated my birthday this week by scoring a Spencer Haywood Knicks Auto. It never ceases to amaze me how cheap Hall of Fame Autos can be while unproved rookies skyrocket. However, if you like collecting Rookie Autos let your 6 year old and do it! All the Best!

The Big Orristotle

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself (Confessions of a Former "Supercollector")

How Grandmama Created The Big Nasty